Balancing Passion w/ Obligation

Forums Forums The Daydreamers (for writers) ASK SOOZ A QUESTION! Balancing Passion w/ Obligation

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tiffany 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

nicoledac
    Participant

Hi Sooz!

So this is a question I have for everyone: How do you balance your passions with your obligations? I recently moved to a new state and am currently job searching (ugh), and I’m under a lot of stress from a LOT of different circumstances. My writing life has suffered as a result, and I’m reading way less too. The only thing that can turn my mind off lately is Korean Dramas, which I’ve always loved. But obviously (and unfortunately) I can’t just watch those all day! I just feel like my writing vessel is empty, maybe because I’m going through a difficult and stressful time.

Anyway, I would love to know if you have any tips for balancing life-stuff with inspiration-stuff. Thanks for your response. 🙂

Oh and PS, since I mentioned Korean Dramas, I’d love recs! I’m finishing up Cunning Single Lady and I loooved Good Doctor, and I’m queuing up Healer next (thanks Sooz)! What are your favorites?

tiffany
    Participant

I realize this is an old post but I’m going to add my 2 cents here anyway!

In order for me to write, I need to be in a place where I feel like my life is relatively stable. If my life bucket is empty (e.g. if I’m stressed out, if I hate my job, if I’m depressed/anxious or just plain sad), I just can’t focus on a story or my character or another world. On the flip side, if my life is brimming to the top (with lots of social events, hobbies, responsibilities, etc.), I find myself totally lacking in energy to sit and write.

For me, I need a balance – where there’s just enough going on in my life to stimulate my mind without overwhelming it. My creativity works best when I have enough space to daydream and think about my own work – sometimes that means turning off the TV, not letting myself use someone else’s fictional world to escape or as a way to turn my brain off.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.