CP/Buddy Match-up!

This topic contains 172 replies, has 110 voices, and was last updated by  milunka-savics-gay-cousin 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 173 total)
  • Author

staybookish
    Participant

Megan, are you still looking for a critique partner? I’d love to be yours but don’t know how to contact you! Hope you find this! 🙂

Ness
    Participant

Name: Nessa Armelle, but you can call me Ness 😉

Genre you like to write/read in: YA Fantasy Fiction

Project and a short blurb: An orphaned princess lives under the shadow of her older brother, the king. She doesn’t realize she’s the last living of what was once the most revered elf races in the region, and thus is the only one who can end the curse her ancestors placed upon the region. If she doesn’t, everyone is in danger.

What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy: Someone who will be honest with me even if it might hurt. Someone who truly wants to be my buddy, and my friend, especially if you live in or near Colorado. If not, that’s okay too 😀

A short, fun fact about yourself: I am an ambivert, meaning I’m equally comfortable being either an extrovert or an introvert. 🙂

If you’re interested in buddying up, contact me through the Contact page at my website

http://www.writteninpassion.weebly.com

Sarah
    Participant

Name: Sarah

Genre you like to write/read in: I write YA fantasy (urban, high), but love to read all types of YA.

Project and a short blurb: To protect and remain beside her brother, a half-dragon girl decides to become a Keeper—the esteemed soldiers of Dragon Society—despite a series of murders at her home and the King’s intent to separate the siblings.

What are you looking for in a CP/Buddy: I’m looking for a buddy/friend. Someone who’s passionate about writing.  Someone who really wants to get published one day. Someone to talk with about writing (all the ups and downs/struggles and joys).
    In terms of critique, I want someone who’s going to be honest about the flaws in my novel and writing, but still be respectful. I’m looking for a relationship for the long haul–work on multiple projects together and help each other to write the best books we can. Hopefully my beta-reader/CP will be willing to offer comments on big picture things and the nitty gritty details.

A short, fun fact about yourself: I just graduated with a degree in Biochemistry!

Contact: My email is ashinourminds@gmail.com and my twitter handle is @ashinourminds 🙂

Katie Hudson
    Participant

Name:  Katie

Genre you like to write/read in: I’ll read pretty much anything YA, but my favorite is fantasy!

Project and a short blurb: My project is a YA High Fantasy at about 100,000 words. I have finished editing the second draft and am looking for someone to critique it! Here is a short synopsis.
    Mira was born to die. As a healer, she has the ability to take injuries from others by transferring them to her own body. She has trained her entire life in and out of the castle to become Princess Cassia of Columba’s personal healer. Mira is meant to give her life one day, so Cassia can continue living. The time arrives for Mira to permanently move into the castle with the Columban royals, whom Mira considers her family. However, the castle has changed since she last visited. There are whispers of a forbidden word—slavery.

Mira does not believe she’s a slave. But forces around her try to convince her she is. Kit, the handsome sorcerer new to the castle, speaks of a mysterious land where healers are the royalty. Asher, Prince Caden’s healer, has died while Mira was away, and the details of his death leave Mira with many questions. Then, there is the threatening war with the people of the West, who believes that healers should be free.
    What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy: I would like someone to be honest and willing to help me make my novel the best it can be. I can take constructive criticism and would be willing to dish it out in return. I would love to meet someone who could experience the excitement of writing and possibly publishing sometime in the future! I need more writer friends!

A short, fun fact about yourself:

Umm…I worked at Disney World last fall! Is that a fun enough? I once got to meet George RR Martin once and almost cried. Also, I am a Creative Writing undergraduate from Texas.

If you are interested don’t be afraid to email me at hudsonkatie(at)sbcglobal(.)com or find me on twitter @katiebhudson

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Katie Hudson.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Katie Hudson.

Morgyn Star
    Participant

Katie, email me at morgynstar@yahoo.com

Your addy wouldn’t fly.

I run a by invitation online spec fic crit group. If you’ll email me your first chp. I would be happy to take a look & see if you are a possible fit.

Morgyn

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Morgyn Star.

Katie Hudson
    Participant

I just sent you an email! Thanks!

Lindsey
    Participant

Name:  Lindsey

Genre you like to write/read in: YA Fantasy! But I’ll read all over the shop, and I’ve also done a fair amount of travel writing.

Project and a short blurb: My current WIP, CUSTODIAN, is an 85k dual-narrated YA fantasy. I’m currently in the middle of my second draft, but I’m looking to build a group of people to critique from about mid-July.

Here’s the rough synopsis: Emme is a street rat working off a debt when the city of Setheyi is invaded by the Enlightenment – a militant group working to eradicate alchemy. Unfortunately, she happens to be indebted to one of the most skilled alchemists in the city, and he’s created a living, breathing, tiny human. To repay her debt, and propel herself into a life out of the gutter, Emme must take the manikin to safety.

Sean is a soldier of the Enlightenment, but he wants so much more. When, after playing a key role in the invasion of Setheyi, he’s given the blame for the manikin escaping and sent to rot in Esper on the chance it comes his way, he’s not best pleased. Then the manikin is in Esper, and he has the chance to show his worth: but he wasn’t expecting Emme.

Neither Emme nor Sean were expecting any difficulties – least of all each other. As each returns to Setheyi they have to face uncomfortable changes, recognise that nothing is what it seems, and realise that it might have been them that was wrong all along.

(That makes it sound like there’s a huge romantic element but, well, there’s not really. More like figures from the past.)

What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy: I’d like someone (or people!) who are happy to give honest critiques – I take it well and I promise I give as good as I get. I like to work quickly when I’m critiquing/revising, so I’d like CPs who will critique my draft relatively quickly. Specifically for CUSTODIAN, I’m planning on sending the manuscript out in three parts over three weeks, so getting critiques in around a week.

Seriousness aside, I’d love CPs I can be friends with as well as talking writing. I’m always looking for more writer friends, and I love connecting with people who are also on the crazy journey that is trying to get published.

A short, fun fact about yourself: I finished a thesis last year on escapism in YA fantasy, and I love the genre so much I’m currently establishing an indie press that will showcase awesome speculative YA short form fiction. I also spend far too much time procrastinating than is healthy for someone who wants a career as a writer 😉

Contact info: Email me at lindseyhodder(at)gmail.com. I’m also on twitter at @lindseyhodder.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Lindsey.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Lindsey.

bookworm97
    Participant

Name: Amani
    Genre you like to write/read in: YA, Teen Fiction Romance/drama is my specialty. I also write the occasional mysteries/fantasy novels. Yes, I do write Dramione Fanfiction and Narnia fanfiction. But, I’m really looking for someone to critique my YA Teen fiction novel.
    Project and a short blurb: Title: Everything Changes
    Short Summary: In this conclusion to Complications, Chase, Valerie, Ethan. Allie, Mason, Daniel, Erica, and Heather are back and married with kids. Alexis, Valerie and Chase’s daughter’s dealing with her best friend moving, while Allie’s daughter Alice is falling for her brother’s best friend. Meanwhile, Rose, Erica’s daughter, is dealing with depression when she meets a guy named Drew who’s going through his own problems. She starts a youtube channel with Drew to keep herself busy. Can these two find comfort in each other’s arms? Meanwhile, Drew, Daniel’s son, just lost his parents and has yet to tell his sister. How will she take it? Everyone’s been getting a mysterious reunion letter but the question is, who sent it? Once everything’s complicated, Everything Changes.
    Lookng for in a CP/Buddy: I’m really hoping to find someone who’s willing to give me feedback – good, constructive feedback ( Don’t tell me the chapter sucked-tell me why it sucked-what didn’t work and what did work). I’d like someone to edit a few chapters at a time and in return I don’t mind critiquing and reading your novel/story as well. I’m hoping to self-publish it once it’s completed so any critique is welcome.If this works out for this novel that I’m working on, then I’d definately love to continue working with you for future writing projects. 🙂
    Contact information: Please feel free to contact me through my personal email: horsecrazy.as@gmail.com with any questions or concerns you might have 🙂 I look forward to working with someone!

Tom Millman
    Participant

Name: Tom

Genre you like to write/read in: Fantasy, YA Sci-Fi

Project and a short blurb: The Ballad of Blades

To be human is to love.

To be human is to grieve when it is lost.

To be human is to take vengeance on those who took it from you.

King Usteon invited Trystan Lothdale into Loc Morred under the sanctity of the guest rite. However all he offered him was daggers and blood, the young Duke and his wife  killed under the sacred rite of the Wyvern flame. Those who loved them now demand vengeance, they want to make the king hurts as they have hurt. Vaedran, Prince of Bellach, seeks retribution for the death of his cousin and the woman that he loved. Jorrin, the Cardinal of The Flame, watches as his godson follows the same treacherous path that Trystan took, to what extent will he go to in order to stop him?  Myrrinna watched as one of The Burned Men executed her friend, using the magic that she was born. At what price will her vengeance come? Philippa devoid of the life that she knew must now choose between the man that she has come to love or the life that was denied her. The Shattered Crow must face her fears, to find that which she has always craved, a mother. Amiranthe Blackwood, broken by the death of her son, seeks vengeance for her loss, her madness and depravity taking her to Jhin.  Intertwined by the traitorous act of betrayal, they will find danger comes closer with each chord played. Their lives forever intertwined, for good or ill, by The Ballad of Blades.

What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy:</span>

I’m looking for someone who is still writing their novel, I am at about 35,000 words. I’m hoping for someone who will work with me to make it in to a story I can be proud of , in return I hope to help someone in the same way. I am looking for someone who can tell me why my chapter sucks and offer suggestions rather than just telling me it sucks.  I look forward to working with you.

A short, fun fact about yourself (c’mon, let’s be fun here!):

I can do a pretty awesome Gollum impression from the Lord of Rings. 😀

If you’re interested send me an email at : Tomsbookhaven@gmail.com

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Tom Millman.

french.verb
    Participant

Name: Shante (pronounced sh-on-tay)
    Genre you like to write/read in: Contemporary YA. Also interested in reading, and maybe writing, YA fantasy.

Project and a short blurb: (I’m awful with writing blurbs, so please forgive the following.) My current project is called Avery’s Lists, complete at 50K. Faced with a newly chaotic life, the best way Avery knows how to cope is by making lists. He’s crushing on the quiet girl from the library, his bus bully is encroaching on his classrooms, his best friend has been handicapped to a wheelchair, and rumors are spreading about his older sister’s sexuality. When Avery finally reports the bullying, his teacher insists that he eat lunch with his bully every day for a week until they can “sort out their differences.” But the bullying only escalates, and when Avery’s sister gets involved, the resulting domino effect is more violent than Avery could have ever expected.
    What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy: I’m looking for a long-term CP. Someone with whom I can chat about writing. 🙂 Bounce ideas off each other, read each other’s works and give helpful feedback, and go on this journey to publication together. I’d really love to work with someone who also writes contemporary YA because I think it would be beneficial for both of us to work with someone who writes in the same genre. I just finished the first draft of Avery’s Lists for July Camp Nano, and I’m thinking some big changes (possibly requiring a rewrite) will need to take place in the second draft. So my CP could read the first draft if they want, or just wait until the second draft. 🙂

A short, fun fact about yourself (c’mon, let’s be fun here!): My name is a verb in french, hence my username. “Chanter” in French literally means ‘to sing.” 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  french.verb.

sofiaf12
    Participant

This.Is.A.Gods.Send!!!!

Especially to people like me who have been hiding in a cupboard stroking their MS (Golem ‘my precious’ style) too scared to get it out there.

So, here goes:

Name: Sofia (Sophia but with an F)

Genre you like to write/read in: YA Fantasy – love a good fairytale re-telling. The darker the better. All things magic. All things epic

Project and a short blurb: The Fox

A Chinese-inspired YA fantasy novel

Fox, at eighteen, is the Miao’s youngest assassin – she knows how doomed her soul is from all the crimes she’s committed. So when she is sent to kill Han Shiu – the town’s most prominent businessman – she accepts without question. But her poison fails and their souls are bound by a Ku (Chinese spirit) and she cannot harm him. In order to remove the Ku and complete her mission they must travel deep into the Ailao mountains – where dangers are legends made real. Except that Fox soon discovers feelings for Han Shiu – worse, she may have stumbled upon an innocent man. She has a choice: her life with the Miao or a path fraught with uncertainty and risk but fighting for what is right

What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy:

Oceans and oceans of CC. Someone to share the general ups and downs of a writer. I want to dream about your story and have ideas for you and your characters, whilst you have daydreams about mine. Want to watch us both blossom (I hope) into amazing writers!

A short, fun fact about yourself (c’mon, let’s be fun here!):
    I was once in a Barbie advert. The token Brunette in amongst the blondes. My mum brings out the video to show every new friend / BF I bring home. Weird – I know. They say everyone has their 15 minutes eh…I’m also from the UK if that’s interesting at all lol 🙂

Look forward to hearing from y’all!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  sofiaf12.

french.verb
    Participant

Writing a new post to update my blurb since I’m technologically-challenged and cannot figure out how to edit my previous post. 🙂

Name: Shante

Genre you like to write/read in: Contemporary YA. Also interested in reading, and maybe writing, YA fantasy.

Project and a short blurb: This pitch is for the second draft of my WIP:

Twelve-year-old Avery Smalley may be dying.

He’s not too sure. He has a pacemaker now, but even those don’t keep people with HCM alive forever. It’s like he’s got a ticking time bomb in his chest.

Now that his older sister has just announced she’s dating a girl, Avery’s heart is no longer his religious family’s main concern. His family is divided—Lake and Dad vs. Mom and Grandmother. With Avery caught in the middle. The only solution is to get Lake back to normal, back to dating her ex-boyfriend. But once Avery meets Venus and sees how happy Lake is, Avery knows he couldn’t bear to see that happiness taken away from her.

Until it is. Avery wants to help Lake mend her broken heart, but will his own keep him around long enough to see her smile again? To see her go to college? To see himself hold hands with his crush, Montana?

How long will the ticking time bomb in his chest last?

What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy: I’m looking for a long-term CP. Someone with whom I can chat about writing. :) Bounce ideas off each other, read each other’s works and give helpful feedback, and go on this journey to publication together. I’d really love to work with someone who also writes contemporary YA because I think it would be beneficial for both of us to work with someone who writes in the same genre.

A short, fun fact about yourself (c’mon, let’s be fun here!): My name is a verb in french, hence my username. “Chanter” in French literally means ‘to sing.” :)

If you’re interested in working together, you can contact me on my blog: https://shantewrites.wordpress.com/

french.verb
    Participant

You can also email me at french DOT verb AT yahoo DOT com if interested. 🙂

christinat
    Participant

I have absolutely no clue where to find a critique partner so here goes..

Name:Christina

Genre you like to write/read in:I read almost all YA (excluding mystery). I like to write YA fantasy and dystopian.

Project and short blurb: I am terrible at writing these. The current WIP I just finished up is called The Stocks, 3rd draft at 45k words.

After a nuclear war destroyed everything Calla knew, the entire country moved underground. The only people left in her life are her brother, Adrian, and her best friend, Xander. On the anniversary of the bombings, the capitol sends people up to test the radiation levels. But it’s only been five years. No one ever survives.

When Calla and Xander are chosen to go topside, she learns that not everything is what it seems. But when Adrian is taken by the capitol she must decide how to fight to get him back.

What you are looking for in a CP/Buddy:I want someone who will tell me what doesn’t work and what does. What voices aren’t different enough, what doesn’t make sense. Help me polish my novel. And I will do the same for you. But most importantly, I want someone I can chat about books and more novel ideas with.

A short, fun fact about yourself (c’mon, let’s be fun here!): I have the most awesome last name that means a variation of “the end” in Italian.

You can contact me at: christina.termini@gmail.com

alabdon
    Participant

Name: Ali

Genre you like to write/read in: I’m all about YA Science Fiction and Fantasy — especially high fantasy.

Project and a short blurb: My current WIP is a 97,000 YA high Fantasy novel. I’m awful at synopses/summaries, but here’s what I’ve got so far:

The rules of Gethamen, the last colony of humans in the land of Giai, are simple and finite: men and women have strict divisions in society, and each has their divine duties. Obey, and the citizens want for nothing. Disobey, and harsh punishment awaits them. To 17-year-old Aradia, a feisty, independent young woman who prizes her mind and body over her ability to marry and start a family, Gethamen is nothing but a pretty cage. When she tries – and fails – to run away, Aradia finds herself in the ruler’s Shrine for rehabilitation, making escape seem all but impossible.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Aradia comes to realize rehabilitation may be the last thing on her ruler’s mind. She learns of her birthright as Sennin, a human with sage blood, and the father’s intentions to train her for reasons only he knows. Except not even her trainer understands her unique abilities. The more she hones her skill, the more darkness takes root in her heart. As if trying to escape from the ruler of her colony wasn’t difficult enough, a failed assassination attempt lands Aradia neck deep in a dark prophecy hundreds of years in the making. With painful betrayals blurring the line between allies and enemies, Aradia must decide how far she’s willing to go for her freedom, and at what cost to those closest to her heart.

What are you looking for in a CP/Buddy: I want someone who isn’t afraid to tell me what works / doesn’t work / needs to be explained more / what seems too convoluted or wordy. Don’t worry about sparing my feelings, but please be respectful / kind at the same time haha. I can’t do the alpha reader thing — I make so many changes its ridiculous — but I’d like a beta reader, and I’m fine with talking over the finer plot points of my work. 🙂 I’m also open to being an alpha reader myself for a CP, and talking over plot if you need it. I would like a CP for my current WIP, but I’m also looking for a long-term CP to work on future projects together.

Oh, and after reading over some other posts on here, I want to add that I’m looking for CP buddies who are serious about getting published. 🙂 I’ve spent about a year and a half on my completed manuscript, with about four re-writes, and endless rounds of editing. I’d love a writer friend who wants to go through the ups and downs of querying, getting rejections, querying some more, and one day achieving our dreams of being published together! (Too cheesy?)

Contact Information: please send me an email at alabdon12@gmail.com or message me on Twitter (@all_the_rainbow)

Fun Fact: Hmmm…my family heritage is french, and my last name (before we came over Ellis Island) literally translates to “the good” (feminine) haha. 😀

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  alabdon.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.