Queries for dual POV

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bridgidgallagher 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Isabel Sterling
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I know I’ve got months of revisions ahead of me, but I’m starting to think about my query letter. My story is told in dual 1st person POV and the two stories are very distinct (very little overlap). Though I’ve started drafting my query letter, I can’t figure out how to put both of those stories in there, or even if I should.

Do folks have any thoughts on whether I can do a combo query letter (which I’m thinking would be the pitch for one story with some sort of “meanwhile…” with the other story) or if I should just stick to one story and leave the second one out of the query.

All thoughts are super appreciated! Thanks!

melodysimpson
    Participant

I had the same exact question last week and combed through Agent Query Connect (a favorite resource of mine), finally landing on this advice. Hope that helps!

Isabel Sterling
    Participant

Thanks Melody! I’ll check it out.

melodysimpson
    Participant

You’re welcome! I was really worried about that too because I wrote my query and synopsis before writing my first draft, to help with outlining and I really love my query. While writing it, shortly after writing it, reading it now months later. I am proud of it so when the thought about the absence of my dual POVs in my query came to mind, it almost extinguished my excitement! But I’m back to being excited as I realized I can keep what I think is my best query as is. 🙂 Anyway, good luck with your query no matter what you decide to do!

bridgidgallagher
    Participant

Someone sent a query letter to the Query Shark for a book told in multiple POVs. I love the way the writer addressed it, and the Query Shark approved. An excerpt:

THE ABDUCTION OF EMILY, a mystery/suspense novel of 84,000 words, is an account of a kidnapping as seen from three points of view: the kidnapper, the kidnapped, and the people left behind.

This last paragraph is the reason I chose this letter for QueryShark. I’ve never seen the problem of multiple viewpoints addressed quite this elegantly. The main part of the letter is in Emily’s viewpoint, and we get a strong sense of her voice and character.

The writer then did NOT try to do the same thing for each of the other viewpoints, and that restraint is a VERY.Good.Thing. Instead, simply saying there are three POV’s and whose they are tells me what I need to know.

This should be a template for anyone with multiple POV novels.

You can see the full query & feedback here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.