Share your daily goals word counts here!

Forums Forums The Daydreamers (for writers) NaNoWriMo 2013 & Camp NaNoWriMo 2014 Share your daily goals word counts here!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sooz 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Sooz
    Keymaster

Once April kicks off, you can share your daily goals and word counts here!

claudiaann
    Participant

Woah! Can’t believe it’s April 1st already! I’m shooting for 1,666 words today, which, according to my stats page, is how much I’m going to need to write every day to get to 50,000. Word/page counts aren’t really my thing, they tend to freeze me up. I want to put most of my focus on moving the story forward. Also, today I’ll be out of the house all day until four, so wish me luck!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  claudiaann.

Sooz
    Keymaster

AAAH! It’s APRIL!!! I cannot believe it!!!

Woohoo, @claudiaann! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Okay, so my goal for today (4/1) is to rewrite the first 35 pages of Truthwitch. I know, I know, I’m supposed to be writing Sightwitch now (the prequel novella to Truthwitch), but after my stint in the hospital (don’t ever get the stomach flu and then allow yourself to get dehydrated. Don’t ever, ever, EVER do it), I’m not finished with Truthwitch like I’d planned.

Basically, after rewriting it all (as talked about here), I got to the end and realized the beginning scenes still lacked some stuff. SO, here we go again! 🙂

Sorcha
    Participant

I think I’m going to take a page out of Claudiaann’s book and aim for the traditional Nano 1666! I should at least start as I mean to go on.

Good luck everyone! (And the mental image alone of stomach flu+dehydration is spurring me to chug a glass or two of water!)

steph
    Participant

Ah, Sooz, take care of yourself! Speedy recovery!

Sorcha and Claudiaan, 1666 sounds great (and reasonable!), good luck!

I am toying with the idea of shooting for 2235 words per day. I already have 12k in this manuscript, and I want to reach 50k by the 17th, so I can take a week or so break before I start revisions on the 24th.

I tend to ruin things if I go straight into revision without breaks. Anyway, so for the next few days at least I will see how realistic 2235 is.

Good luck everyone!

JennieBee
    Participant

I’m jumping in late because Tuesday is one of my double duty (two job) days. Just getting home and settling in to write! I want to set a goal of 2,000 words per day to give me wiggle room if I want a day off to play! I’m about 10,000 words in on this new story and I would love to hit 60,000 by the end of the month!

So glad that you’re better and home, Susan! Thanks for hosting this!

Happy writing everyone!

Sorcha
    Participant

Good luck! 2235 doesn’t seem completely crazy!

That said, I totally bombed on my 1666. I hand wrote about a sentence before I had to give up… and woke up completely flu-ridden.

But I have been sent home from work so many there’s time to catch up. Uh, not sure how coherent anything I write at the moment will be though!!

claudiaann
    Participant

Sorcha, I didn’t reach 1,666 either. But I’m planning to do much better today. Not sure what I’ll be aiming for for word count, but I’d like to get pretty far into the first chunk of my story, maybe finish the first quarter. We’ll see how that goes.
    On a different note, is anyone having as miserable a time with their WIP as I am? I should have been prepared for it (after all, the same thing has happened with all my other projects), but when I started writing yesterday, nothing came out the way it was suppossed to! I felt like chucking the whole thing! Sooz, your answer to my ‘Starting Strong’ question helped. I still feel kind of crappy about this idea though. Hope that’ll pass and I’ll feel some sort of ‘spark’!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  claudiaann.

steph
    Participant

Sorcha, hope you get better soon!

Claudiaan and Sorcha…I’m right there with you bombing my first daily goal.

Yesterday’s WC: 1401.

Claudiaan, keep going! I am currently working hard on ignoring a little nagging voice that is telling me I’m about to be in trouble with this WIP, because I don’t know where to go. And I’ve definitely been where you are. I think that is one of my main goals this time, moving past that spot to end up with a first draft in the first place. First drafts are the hardest for me, and the more I learn about the craft, the harder it gets, because I constantly have all these things I know I shouldn’t be doing in my head… Fingers crossed for some spark for you. 🙂

Sooz
    Keymaster

Aaah, good job everyone!!! WOOHOO FOR STELLAR WORD COUNTS!

I reached my goal yesterday and clocked in 10 pages past, so yay! 45 pages rewritten. My goal for today was to get in another 35 pages, but…that didn’t quite happen. I managed 30…so CLOSE. But alas. Not quite 35.

Tomorrow, I’m flying off to Seattle, but I’ll be back Monday! I expect to see you guys WRITING in the meantime!!! <3 <3

claudiaann
    Participant

Wrote over 5,000 words yesterday, so yay! Didn’t quite finish the first quarter like I was hoping, but I was still able to write a good bit. I’m hoping to chug out another big chunk today.

chele
    Participant

It’s almoooost the weekend, yay!

I’ve been struggling a bit too, everything I’ve written so far feels so clunky and awkward. Nothing’s going how I planned! Sooo tempted to give in to Jiminy Cricket’s evil twin and get rid of everything, ugh… Hopefully I’ll get to catch some much needed zzz’s come Saturday, recharge, and power through! 😀

claudiaann
    Participant

Chele, I know EXACTLY how you feel. For the last four days I have been so tempted to chuck my project, because nothing is turning out the way I thought it would! That’s slowly getting better, but I’m still bombarded by worries and doubts: Will I ever like what I’m writing? Was I passionate enough about this idea in the first place? Should I have chosen it to work on? It sucks. Majorly.
    That said, at least I’ve been producing something consistently, which is more than I can say for the last year. I think I’ve also narrowed down the word count I can semi-easily manage each day: About 2k, which is what I hit today.

onlybylaura
    Participant

Hi guys! You’re all doing great.
    I’m trying to manage about ~2k each day. Even if I try to write more, 2k is all I hit everyday. I’m pretty sure I could be working harder, but I just can’t seem to do it. As my goal for nano is 50k I’m fine with it, but I think I could do more still. Also my novel’s been very tiring because the first chapters include a lot of worldbuilding and ughhh not always comfortable with it
    How do you guys manage to sit down for long/motivate yourself to push past your goal?

claudiaann
    Participant

Hi Laura! My average per day seems to be 2k as well, and I also think I should be working harder. There just comes a point when I feel like I’ve done what I can do for the day. I’m sure I could push past that and do more, but so far I haven’t made a serious effort. My goal isn’t 50k though, it’s a finished novel, so I should probably start pushing myself. Short breaks between writing spurts are huge help for me to accomplish my word count goals though, if that helps at all 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.